A months trek in the himilayas
When Jeremy told me he wanted to do the Annapurna circuit - about a three week high through the himilayas- he forgot to mention that we would be climbing to an altitude of 5400m. Little did I know that we would be walking past stone graves of previous travellers that had died from foaming blood at the mouth- a common sympton of altitude sickness. Thank God,we made the pass- if only just. It is a strange feeling not knowing if you are going to make it or not...and having to take rest breaks every three seconds because you only have 50% oxygen supply. Jeremy made it easily. I just about did it- after many prayers- and I think I have used up my wish box. My two best friends became the two walking sticks that I readily acquired from a little Tibetan man chipping away on one of those many mountainsides. Those sticks saved my life many times.
Thee trek was stunning. Probably the most amazing scenery I have ever encountered. breath taking. Budding red flowers amidst hard snow capped peaks.
There were tears..terrible blisters...many a night spent getting drunk on local apple brandy whilst snuggling under a blanket in a Tibetan tea house.
We made it over the pass. 3 days after - I sprained my ankle whilst hobbling down a mountain. This time my sticks could not rescue me. Poor Jeremy had to carry me and both our back packs down to the bottom. Luckily we were on our way to a place with healing hot springs. I bonded with a holy man who was also at the springs in the hope of healing a terrible sprain. We shared ice cubes and tales of swellings. It was great.
The Annapurna circuit was a real adventure and I am already missing it. Jeremy and I are currently in Chitwan national park. We have had an eventful few days in the jungle. My adrenaline is still pumping around my body due to a certain incident. Before entering the jungle we were informed that it was very lucky to spot a rhino- however Jeremy and I were chased by one. We were unaware of her and her baby and invaded her territory on a motorbike. Not a wise move. I have never seen such shock and fear on a face as I did on our guides that day. He told us that in his eleven years as a guide never had such an incident happened.
It is amazing here... AMAZING. We seem to be filled with luck at the mo- we slept in a tower and saw the refection of beautiful Tiger eyes watching us. I was so terrified to go down the steps to the toilet..where those Tiger eyes seemed to be lurking.. that I ended up losing all my diginity and peeing in a bottle right in front of Jeremy. He thought I was crazy...and couldn't understood as to why I should be scared. I mean a Tiger had only eaten a villager one day before..it was highly unlikely that such an incident would happen the very next day.
In a few days we are going back to Katmandhu where we are going to stay at a monastery for 10 days to learn how to do meditation- should be fun- as we are not really allowed to talk. Jeremy is going to be in bliss- I am not sure about me however. After that we are going to go trekking again ...but this time in the Langtang valley.... where all the flowers are out... and i will be back with my sticks and a different pair of hiking boots. YIPPEEE!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home